welcome to chigago
The third largest city in the United States
Facts & Statistics
Chicago is home to…
- 237 square miles of land
- An estimated 2,695,598 residents
- Dozens of cultural institutions, historical sites and museums
- More than 200 theaters
- Nearly 200 art galleries
- More than 7,300 restaurants
- 77 community areas containing more than 100 neighborhoods
Did you know?
- Over 50 million people visit Chicago annually.
- Chicago was incorporated as a city in 1837.
- Chicago’s nicknames include: The Windy City, the City of Big Shoulders, the Second City, and The City That Works.
- Chicago is home to 11 Fortune 500 companies, while the rest of the metropolitan area hosts an additional 23 Fortune 500 companies.